The beautiful stone structure gives Siena a place of solace, prayer and remembrance that connects the campus community, and all its visitors, with the College’s Catholic and Franciscan heritage.
Roman Catholic Diocese of Albany Bishop Emeritus Howard J. Hubbard, D.D., H ’77 will preside over the dedication. Siena College leaders, including Interim President Br. F. Edward Coughlin, O.F.M., Ph.D. and Fr. Kevin Mullen ’75, O.F.M., Ph.D., former Siena College president and provincial minister of Holy Name Province, will deliver remarks during the ceremony.
The Grotto at Siena College is reminiscent of the world-renowned Marian Shrine in Lourdes, France. It incorporates a statue of Mary that was originally placed in a grotto on the College’s front lawn. That grotto was dedicated in 1947 to commemorate the veterans who served in World War II, particularly the 36 Siena men who made the supreme sacrifice.
The Grotto at Siena College also includes statues of St. Francis of Assisi who is the founder of the Franciscan Order, St. Clare of Assisi, one of the first followers of St. Francis who founded a religious order of women known as the Poor Clares, and St. Bernardine of Siena, the Franciscan friar for whom the College is named.
Construction of The Grotto at Siena College was made possible through the generosity of the College’s donors and the hard work of Saratoga Associates, BBL Construction Services, JH Maloy Construction, Gallivan Companies, Callanan Industries and GPI.